Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Slack Track Chains

If I built a several thousand dollar ride from scratch all by myself to display at NAHBS.... (hmmm, let me ponder the massive implications of this thought...)

1. It would have chromed lugs
2. Polished rear dropouts to prevent rust from paint removal
3. It certainly would have a properly tensioned chain

I'm sorry, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves of the handmade bike industry trade shows. It really doesn't show any foresight. Really, how long would it take to remove that one link to tighten up that chain. Or God forbid, pull the wheel back a half inch or so, sacrifice that uber tight rear wheel clearance, for a little bit of proper chain tension. It really didn't occur this year as much as I saw in '07. So for that I'm glad. There's nothing that will ruin your day on a brakeless fixed, other than throwing a slack chain. It just pains me to see a multi thousand dollar track bike with a slack chain...

Okay, Rant over.

No comments: